Pizza & Bagels? Oh My!

Posted by Sarah Robertson on Sunday, November 14, 2010.

I woke up yesterday with a craving for bagels but we didn’t have any so toast with peanut butter it was. As the day went on my craving for bagels didn’t go away so I decided I should just make them myself.

I’ve been wanting to make bagels for awhile now but never got around to it. I always thought it looked like a difficult process that I didn’t want to bother with.


Here’s what you’ll need:

1 1/4 cup boiling water.

3 tablespoons raw sugar

1 tablespoon salt

2 tablespoons yeast

1/4 cup lukewarm water

4 cups whole wheat flour

 

1. Place the raw sugar and salt in a large bowl & set aside.

2. In a small bowl prepare the yeast by mixing it with the 1/4 cup of warm water. Set aside.

3. Boil 1 1/4 cup water and combine with salt & sugar. Once the water is lukewarm add the yeast mixture and stir together.

4. Add 2 cups of the flour and mix well. Then slowly add the remaining flour. You will end up with a pretty stiff ball of dough.

5. Let the dough rise for about 30 minutes.

6. Then form the dough into the shape of bagels. You will need a very cute helper for this!

7. Then let the dough rise for another 30 minutes.

8. Drink coffee. If you’re an adorable toddler drink milk.

9. After they are done rising bring a large pot of water to boiling. Boil the bagels in the pot for about 5 minutes & watch them fluff up BIG!

10.    Arrange the bagels on a cookie sheet & if you would like sprinkle with cinnamon & oats.

11. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 375 degrees.



1008

012016

031026

038024

002020

These were actually pretty easy to make, they just took up a good hunk of my day. If you’re a bagel lover like me it will be worth it. They were really good & I can’t wait to experiment with different flavors like blueberry, chocolate chip, & “everything”.


I was a little burnt out after making the bagels but I promised that I would make everyone pizza.

So off to work Bella & I went making the dough! I don’t know why I let her get so messy.

          043048

We went with whole wheat deep dish crust. One pizza had spinach & the other had mushrooms.

052

054055

Another winner! I had a small slice of each and topped them with raw spinach & mushrooms, kinda like a pizza salad. Derek & Bella enjoyed theirs the traditional way, just pizza.

 

Pizza and bagels in one day? Have I gone mad? Absolutely not! I don’t know how people live on low carb diets. Not only do we need adequate amounts of all three macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates, & fat) but carbs are just too good to pass up. As long as they come from fruits or whole grains I see no reason to cut them out of my diet. Then again, everyone is different you have to do what you think is right for you (especially if it is for medical reasons). I just hope this shows that our diets don’t need to be extremely restrictive in order for them to be healthy. Take a favorite food and mess with the recipe to make it your own! You’ll have a few flops from time to time but the recipe winners are worth the effort you put it.

See you guys later! Derek just got home so I’m going to relax with him & watch some football. Or you know, watch him watch football.

1 Response to Pizza & Bagels? Oh My!

  1. Unknown

    Nice Post…. I Like Your Post….


    Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia

Leave a Reply