Carb Madness!

Posted by Sarah Robertson on Monday, August 9, 2010. Filed under: , , , , , ,

How is everyone's day going? I just got finished slicing some fruit from our massive garden and put it in a bowl for instant snackage later on
Photobucket
Watermelon, honeydew, and yellow watermelon, yum.

Earlier I put together one of my favorite recipes, whole wheat and flax tortillas.

Photobucket

Homemade whole grain tortillas are very simple to make and are a lot cheaper and healthier than the ones that you find in the store (refined flour and hydrogenated oils anyone?)

Here's the recipe I followed:

4 cups minus 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
3 tbsp ground flax (or just 3 more tbsp flour if you don't have them on hand)
2 tsp baking powder
sprinkle of sea salt
1 1/2 cups water
3 tbsp olive or canola oil

Mix dry ingrediants together then add wet ingrediants and mix with your hands.
LEt the dough rest for about 10 minutes (this really does make a difference I just don't know why, so don't skip it).

Roll the tortillas out to your desired size. I like to do big ones for wraps and a few smaller ones for Bella or a small snack for myself. She's a pro at this step.
Photobucket

Heat tortillas individually on a pan for about a minute on each side and they're done! Simple as that!

My other favorite thing about these yummy tortillas is that there is so many things you can do with them.

You can roll them up with some peanut butter and raisins and top with cinnamon.

Photobucket

Wrap up a salad.

Photobucket

Or grill them a little longer until they're crispy and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Photobucket

My favorite way is with halibut tacos but we don't have any halibut right now :(

Fruit, a few tortillas, and an unpictured sandwhich thin with peanut butter: it definatly was a carbalicous day just the way I like it.

No Responses to Carb Madness!

Leave a Reply